Lardy Rolls

//Lardy Rolls

Lardy Rolls

My parents don’t live too far away and so I pop round a couple of times a week (usually to be fed!). I had a nice surprise on my latest visit when my parents announced they’d been to Cranleigh and brought me back some lardy rolls.

Now I cannot begin to tell you how much I love lardy rolls. Smothered in butter and marmite that are a rare treat I adore!

A lot of people make the mistake of thinking is just a different sized lardy cake. It isn’t, it’s a completely different recipe. A lardy roll is a scone sized baked good. It has an almost doughy texture to it, much more moist than a roll or scone, closer to a crumpet but without the bitterness or rubberyness. Given the springy nature and the air pockets there’s a strong part of me that believes that it must use filo pastry. But I know very little about baking and could be completely wrong.

It used to be that you could get them from Bakers all over Surrey, but as they’ve closed down over the years, so stockists have dwindled. The only place you seem to be able to get them now is in a baker in Cranleigh, Surrey.

As well as a number of friends who remember them fondly, I’ve spent a lot of time researching the lardy roll as it seems that it is in danger of being lost. Whilst I believe the baker in Cranleigh has handed things onto his son and with it the recipe, they do seem slightly different. I can find very few references to it in history outside Surrey and West Sussex which has lead me to believe it was a local delicacy around the 1920s and 30s. All references to it, mark it as exceptional (“their lardy rolls were particularly good”).

Whilst I think if I had them too regularly, they’d lose their appeal I do worry that one day we’ll go to Cranleigh and the baker’s will be closed down. I don’t want to see him lose his revenue and will happily frequent and supply him with business for years to come, I just want to know that future generations will be able to sample the wonder of the lardy roll!

2016-10-17T17:13:54+00:00 June 11th, 2012|Food|11 Comments

11 Comments

1. Ian Mitchell September 2, 2012 at 8:31 pm - Reply

I do agree that Lardy Rolls are very nice and yes it is getting much harder to find them, I used to work for one of the many bakerys in Surry that used to make them but sadly has closed down this was Hammonds of Milford. I am not sure if Hillers of Waverly make them but I will have to find out I think part of the problem why they have dissaperd so much is they have a short shelf life as they are good on the day of making but lose there freshness very quick and unless you can sell enough it was not viable to make them. I think we only made them one or two days in the week at Hammonds. But yes it would be very sad to lose them altogether. I must say I have never thought that they where only a reginal food iteam but I have asked in bakers shops all over the country and had funny looks and even asked if I mean Lardy Cakes. I would be good to know how many people even in the Surry/West Sussex area know of Lardy Rolls.

• alistair September 24, 2012 at 6:39 pm - Reply

Hi Ian;
      As you used to make the Lardy Roll’s I wonder if you could enlighten us with a recipe. I have searched high and low and can find no reference or hint of a recipe. Everything is about Lardy Cakes.
      With best regards
      Alistair

2. Val February 25, 2013 at 7:13 pm - Reply

Hello everyone please please can you provide a recipe, my hubby is desperate for a receipe, he lived in Godalming and remembers Hammonds bakers, recipe would be much appreciated

3. andy gibbs July 7, 2013 at 6:52 am - Reply

just read the lardy rolls. I used to live in the area and used to love lardy rolls. have been trying for years to get a recipie but to no avail. can anyone out there please help. as I do miss them now as it brings back childhood memories and you cant get anything like that in somerset where I know live
    andy

4. mia hunter April 9, 2014 at 7:40 pm - Reply

Hi

I was hoping you could tell me where i can find the recipe for Lardy Rolls. I have been looking for months my Nana’s 80th birthday is soon and my mum and i would love to make her some as she keeps going on bout them.

• Adrian April 11, 2014 at 10:27 pm - Reply

‘ve yet to find one, Mia. Only place I know that sells them is Celebration Cakes in Cranleigh.

If you find out the recipe, please let me know so I can share it. Good luck!

5. Muriel October 29, 2014 at 11:59 am - Reply

I Lived in Milford in Surrey until I married, and always loved visiting my nana May who had a bakers delivery every week which included Lardy rolls. At that time she probably bought them from Hammonds.How I loved them and still do. I return to Milford in March each year and if I get there early enough, I can buy Lardy rolls from Secretts farm shop. I believe they buy them from a bakers in Godalming. Next time I am there I shall go to Godalming and try to find which baker sells them.

• Muriel October 29, 2014 at 12:08 pm - Reply

I believe the bakers that sells or sold Lardy rolls was called Ayers of Godalming.

6. Christina January 7, 2016 at 3:15 pm - Reply

Secretts used to sell them and as you say supplied by a company in Godalming

7. Simon Cornwell April 1, 2016 at 5:54 pm - Reply

Hi all I am the Grandson running Celebration Cakes in Cranleigh and we are still making the Lardy Rolls not to many each day so best to order them or drop me a email it is great to read everyone’s memories .i have a customer who serviced my Grandfathers boat and they used to have cheese ones made and warmed on the engine not very healthy but great

8. A j Steadman June 18, 2016 at 9:20 pm - Reply

Hi I have been after Lardy rolls for 50 years I used too live in byworth near pet worth .we had a bakers in the village who would bake Lardy rolls I would like to get recipe